The best part about Empirical Style for me is the road trips! There is always an excuse to get in the kombi and get on the road to source new products and have a family adventure. This week we went to Bendigo which is about 1.5hrs out of Melbourne. I shot this little movie on iPhone using the 8mm app for the vintage and very forgiving effects! The beautiful song on the film is The Swimming Song by Loudon Wainwright III. We however mainly cranked up Mondo Rock on this trip!!
We headed north to purchase some maps, visit an estate auction and pick up an ebay purchase. Steve hadn’t been to Bendigo before so managed to see every op shop and vintage store possible! If you want to do a similar trip here’s what we recommend:
- Bendigo Pottery. A working pottery the back section holds a large room of vintage wares and collectables.
- El Gordo, Chancery Lane. I love that we manage to find the coolest most delicious coffee in a new town. Set in a very Melboure-esq lane way.
- Bendigo Estate Auctions. On once a month I’m sure this would be significantly cheaper than the city. we had a browse but didn’t stay the night for the sale.
- View Street, Bendigo. This is where all the vintage stores are.
- Bendigo Wholefoods. I love to finding a wonderful health food co-op in a new town filled to the brim with the local produce.